Vermont Housing Resources

Below you can find resources for housing assistance across Vermont.

Vermont statewide housing resources

Directory of all Vermont homeless shelters

List of shelters in Vermont |Visit website

Economic services benefits service center

Emergency/General Assistance with emergency basic needs, including housing, fuel, utilities and more

Visit website| 800-479-6151
After hours or on weekends, call 2-1-1

Vermont Legal Aid support line

For help with evictions, or termination/refusal from any other housing program

When to refer to Vermont Legal Aid

Helpful info about when to call VT Legal aid in regards to housing concerns | View/download PDF

Reasonable accommodations info

General info and ways to evaluate a potential ‘RA’ situation and make a request (for a change in a rule, policy, practice, or service that may be necessary to allow a person with a disability the equal opportunity to use/enjoy a dwelling) | View/download PDF

Vermont State Housing Authority

Mission to promote and expand the supply of affordable rental and homeownership opportunities on a statewide basis. They offer a variety of rental assistance programs for eligible Vermonters.

Visit website| 802-828-3295

Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program (VERAP)

Assistance for Vermont renters dealing with financial challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic. For eligible households, the program offers rental and utility assistance to help Vermonters avoid eviction or loss of utility service. Program will run through September 2022, or beyond, subject to funding.

Visit website | 833-4VT-ERAP / 833-488-3727

Pathways support line

24/7. Free, confidential, non-judgmental support and connection for all Vermonters over the age of 18 by phone. Staffed by local peers who’ve been through tough situations themselves. They listen, talk with you, provide insight, and help you face life’s challenges.

Visit website | 833-VT-TALKS  / 833-888-2557
You can also text this line 

Pathways Vermont rapid rehousing solutions

Rapidly connects families and individuals experiencing houselessness to permanent housing through a tailored package of assistance that may include the use of time-limited financial assistance and targeted supportive services. There is a Veterans program as well.

Visit website | 888-492-8218

Vermont Coalition to End Homelessness

Supports the work of local CoCs; connects them to a broader network of stakeholders; administers federal funds; and advocates for funding and policy changes so that people living in Vermont have a safe, stable, affordable home.

Visit website

National Domestic Violence Hotline


Vermont county specific programs

Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO)

Serving Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, and Grand Isle counties

Housing Assistance Program staff work with families to stabilize their housing and prevent houselessness. As Housing Advocates, they can help to secure affordable housing, and financial assistance to help with security deposits or rental arrears. They can also refer to other resources and services that can help to avoid falling behind in the future.

Visit website | 802-862-2771 or 1-800-287-7971

County specific contacts:

  • Chittenden Community Action: 802-863-6248 ext. 4
  • Addison Community Action: 802-388-2285
  • Franklin/Grand Isle Community Action: 802-527-7392

CVOEO Vermont Tenants Hotline

Serving Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, and Grand Isle counties

Free hotline for information and referral services for Vermont tenants’ in regard to their concerns, questions and need for resources and support

Visit website | 802-864-0099

BROC Community Action

Serving Rutland and Bennington counties

Community Action Agency that can help with temporary and permanent housing; tenant education, counseling and advocacy; and intervention and eviction prevention

Visti website | 802-775-0878 or 1-800-717-2762

County specific contacts:

  • Rutland: 802-775-0878 or 1-800-717-2762
  • Bennington: 802-447-7515

Capstone Community Action
(Central Vermont)

Serving Washington, Lamoille and Orange counties

Community Action Agency that can help with locating, securing or keeping housing, houselessness, housing counseling, budgeting and financial literacy counseling, transitional housing, heating and utility assistance, and weatherization assistance.

Visit website | 802-479-1053 or 1-800-639-1053

County specific contacts:

  • Washington County/Barre: 1-800-639-1053
    or 802-479-1053
  • Lamoille County/Morrisville: 1-800-639-8710
    or 802-888-7993
  • Orange County East/Bradford: 802-222-5419
  • Orange County West/Randolph: 1-800-846-9506
    or 802-728-9506

Northeast Kingdom Community Action (NEKCA)

Serving Essex, Orleans, and Caledonia counties

Community Action Agency that can help with housing counseling, financial assistance, transitional housing and shelter

Visit website | 802-334-7316 

County specific contacts:

  • Orleans County/Newport: 802-334-7316 / Transitional Housing: 802-334-0184
  • Essex County/Canaan: 802-266-7134
  • Essex County/Island Pond: 802-723-6425
  • Caledonia County/St. Johnsbury: 802-748-6040

NECKA/Community Action Youth Services (CAYS)

Emergency and transitional housing for teens, Newport, VT

Visit website | 802-334-8224 

NECKA/Community Based Corrections

Transitional housing for individuals involved with the Department of Corrections and living in or returning to Orleans, Essex and Caledonia Counties. Judd North, Judd South, Lyndonville Apartments, Aerie House. Supporting women and men, with some housing for those with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health challenges. Referrals from DOC and community agencies and individuals.


Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA)

Serving Windsor and Windham counties

Community Action agency that can help with houslessness and housing instability among low-income households. Possible assistance includes payment of back rent to prevent eviction, security deposits and/or first month’s rent to assist with relocation, housing search and placement, landlord-tenant mediation, money management, and other assistance to ensure that individuals and families are able to maintain their current housing or obtain safe, decent, affordable housing.

Visit website | 802-722-4575 or 1-800-464-9951

County specific contacts:

  • Windham County/Brattleboro: 802-254-2795
  • Windsor County/Springfield: 802-885-6153
  • Windsor County/White River Junction: 802-295-5215

Pathways Vermont Housing First Program: See county info below

Serving Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, Washington, Windsor and Windham counties

Program that supports individuals and families to locate independent apartments in the community. Housing First clients are provided long-term, multidisciplinary community supports, including service coordination, drug & alcohol counseling, employment support, psychiatry, nursing care and representative payee services.

Visit website

County specific info:

Addison County: 
Charter House Coalition

Chittenden County
Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO)
802-863-6248 x 723

Franklin County

Washington County
Capstone Community Action
802-477-5126 or 800-639-1053

Windsor North
Upper Valley Haven

Windsor South/Windham North
Springfield Supported Housing
802-885-3034 x 104

Windham South 
Groundworks Collaborative

Chittenden County specific housing resources

Burlington Housing Authority

Serving Burlington, and portions of South Burlington, Winooski, Colchester, Essex, Essex Junction, Shelburne, St. George, and Williston.

Serving the greater Burlington community with housing that is affordable, rental assistance, and support services. 

Visit website | 802-864-0538

ANEW Place

Serving Chittenden County

Temporary and transitional housing for houseless individuals. Care is designed to empower individuals with the tools to move out of crisis and into lifelong sustainability.

Visit website | 802-862-987

STEPS to End Domestic Violence

Serving Chittenden County

24/7 hotline. Prevention and advocacy organization dedicated to supporting and empowering folks who have been affected by domestic violence as they work to achieve safety and independence. They provide support and present options, knowing that those who work with them are able to decide what is best for their own lives. They offer an emergency housing/shelter program that includes emotional support, basic needs (food, toiletries, transportation etc.) and other services.

Visit website | Hotline: 802-658-1996 

Other Housing Support by County

Bennington County:
BROC – Community Action in Southwestern Vermont

Caledonia, Essex, and Orleans Counties
Northeast Kingdom Community Action – Newport
802-334-7316 x 210

Grand Isle and Franklin Counties
Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO)

Lamoille County
Capstone Community Action
802-888-7993 or 800-639-8710

Northeast Kingdom Community Action – St. Johnsbury
St. Johnsbury

Orange/Windsor North
Upper Valley Haven

Rutland County
Homeless Prevention Center

Other housing authorities

Barre Housing Authority

They help to provide high quality, affordable, safe & stable housing to the Barre community, with Section 8 and Public housing 

Visit website | 802-476-3185 / 802-476-3186

Bennington Housing Authority

In collaboration with community partners, BHA supports and promotes the availability of programs and services to enable its residents and Section 8 program participants to maintain successful residency, improve the quality of their lives and pursue self-sufficiency. They manage Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Public Housing. 

Visit website | 802-442-8000

Brattleboro Housing Authority

Participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Public Housing, Family Self-Sufficiency, Moving to Work, Section 8 Project-Based Voucher (PBV), and Shelter Plus Care programs.

Visit website | 802-254-6071

Montpelier Housing Authority

Their mission is to promote, provide and preserve safe, decent and affordable housing in ways that support families, neighborhoods, and economic self-sufficiency. They manage Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Public Housing. 

Visit website | 802-229-9232

Rutland Housing Authority

They administer both Public Housing and Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher programs, affordable housing developments and supportive services for Rutland residents and the community at large.

Visit website | 802-775-2926

Springfield Housing Authority

They help to provide high quality, affordable, safe & stable housing to the Springfield community, with Section 8 housing and SASH (Supports and Services at Home for older adults and those with special needs).

Visit website | 802-885-4905

Winooski Housing Authority:

The Winooski Housing Authority mission is to provide safe, affordable, quality housing to low and moderate income individuals and families while offering supportive services through partnerships with the community that will assist in improving the social and economic well-being of Winooski residents. They manage Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and Public Housing. 

Visit website | 802-655-2360

Share This